Editor’s be aware: This story was initially printed in 2023 and has been up to date.
It’s that point of 12 months, people. The Super Bowl is here. And, with each the San Francisco 49ers and Kansas City Chiefs being the 2 greatest groups within the league, there’s a robust likelihood this sport will most likely be shut.
If it’s a shut sport, meaning we may get extra time. What that used to imply within the playoffs is that the staff who scored first wins the sport within the sudden demise interval.
Guess what? Not. Anymore.
Because of 2022’s ridiculous Buffalo Bills and Kansas City Chiefs game, the NFL changed the rules in order that each groups can have an opportunity to the touch the ball, ought to they get to extra time.
I do know that may sound a bit complicated. Whether it is, don’t fear. Right here’s a fast explainer on the way it works.
Wait, so each groups get an opportunity to the touch the ball?
Sure, each groups will likely be allowed to own the ball throughout extra time it doesn’t matter what occurs. That’s the rule for less than the postseason, not the common season, which saved the sudden-death rule.
Years in the past, a staff may simply kick a area purpose and finish the sport on the primary possession of extra time of a playoff sport. However that isn’t the case anymore. Each groups will, on the very least, have a chance to attain.
So what if each groups rating?
Nice query. In accordance with the NFL’s rules and operations site, if each groups rating on their first possession of extra time and the sport continues to be tied, then the sport continues.
Nevertheless, it instantly reverts again to the unique sudden-death format. The subsequent staff to attain wins the sport.
So what if one staff scores a landing on their first possession, however the different staff scores a area purpose?
If that occurs then the staff that scored the landing wins. Whichever facet has probably the most factors after each have possessed the ball not less than one time is the winner.
So let’s say the Chiefs rating a area purpose on their first possession of extra time, however the 49ers rating a landing on theirs. The 49ers could be the winners of the sport.
OK, OK. Acquired it. So what if extra time truly ends in a tie?
Within the extraordinarily unlikely occasion this continues to occur, the groups will maintain enjoying extra time durations till somebody wins.
There needs to be a Tremendous Bowl winner, proper? They’ll’t simply share the trophy.
Ah, OK. Acquired it. The rest to know?
Yup. These are all of the fundamentals there. For those who’re on the lookout for extra specifics otherwise you’re nonetheless a bit confused, listed here are the official guidelines from the NFL’s rule book:
- If the rating continues to be tied on the finish of an extra time interval — or if the second staff’s preliminary possession has not ended — the groups will play one other extra time interval. Play will proceed no matter what number of extra time durations are wanted for a winner to be decided.
- There will likely be a two-minute intermission between every extra time interval. There is not going to be a halftime intermission after the second interval.
- The captain who misplaced the primary extra time coin toss will both select to own the ball or choose which purpose his staff will defend, except the staff that gained the coin toss deferred that selection.
- Every staff can have a chance to own the ball in extra time.
- Every staff will get three timeouts throughout a half.
- The identical timing guidelines that apply on the finish of the second and fourth regulation durations additionally apply on the finish of a second or fourth extra time interval.
- If there’s nonetheless no winner on the finish of a fourth extra time interval, there will likely be one other coin toss, and play will proceed till a winner is said.